I'm getting older. True, I'm still at the age where I can be trusted (I'll let you figure that out on your own, think of it as homework), but I'm apparently getting up there. The thing that really seems to frighten me lately is that I'm considered older by all the clues in the environment. Last night while I watching "Chuck" one of the main characters was going to her high school reunion. The year she graduated? 1998. I graduated in 1998. I'm the same age as the character I'm watching on television who has a real job, a life, etc. It's just mind-boggling. I think part of the problem is that I'm still in school, so I don't quite feel like an adult yet. But I'm there. I'm an adult. It's crazy. And it scares me.
The fact that there are 18 year olds out there who were born in 1990 is scary to me. Seriously? What happened to time? Where does it go?
I had more on the subject, but I'm getting up there and things slip my mind pretty easily these days. Instead I bring you this website which also has random comics on it. Enjoy!
2 comments:
great post. the weird thing (aside from the way weird is spelled) is that your perspective on age changes, too. I think of my brother as sort of 'old' - because he's always been, you know, older than me. but the youngest people I hang out with now are often at least 35 years old, so sometimes I'm shocked to realize that actually my brother is still quite young! My boss Chuck actually said in an email to someone else yesterday that I was a "young" postdoc... it's weird when you feel that you are getting so old, and the people around you think of you as a kid. I'm baffled whenever I realize that some of the people I work with have written papers about the work I'm doing now when I was ten years old, and occasionally even before I was born...
At the university, I'm assuming that you are surrounded by young folks, which probably skews your perception the other way. You should hang out more with 65+ year olds.
I think that the Big 3-0 Rose birthday extravaganza should be funeral themed. We will all give eulogies and wear black and eat delicious funeral food. You can wear whatever you want to be burried in. Wedding dress? I'm going to start on the programs now.
Post a Comment