Wednesday, January 21, 2009

First Impressions

I am 99% sure that I make a horrible first impression. I don't really set out to make an impression usually. I forget that meeting people for the first time means that they are judging you and determining if they will be your friend, tolerate you, call the cops, or on one memorable instance determine that they want to beat you up.* So I just say all the things I would normally say to people. Turns out my brand of humor is sort of an acquired taste. It's like beer or coffee or black tar heroin. At first you think, "damn, that's horrible, I'm not doing that again". But then after awhile you'd sell your first born child for it.

I say all this because I think I made a horrible first impression for someone recently. Well, that's perhaps giving me a more credit than I deserve. Let's just say "hypothetically" - wink, wink- that I met another person who was supposed to TA for the same class that I am TAing for...hypothetically. Let's also pretend that she said she couldn't take any of the morning sections which I also did not want to take. So let's just say for the sake of this story that I was sort of peeved about that when I first met her. I may or may not have determined that the best course of action upon meeting her was to use all of my "charm" in order to politely say hello in a way that most likely conveyed that I didn't really want to say hello. I also may or may not have then answered all subsequent questions with "yes" or "no" answers only. Except when I might have stated, "no, I've never TAed for this class before. I mean, I taught this class over the summer, but no, not TAed for it." Imagine my surprise then when I heard that she decided that she couldn't TA for the class at all and just dropped out of sight. Was it all me? I think that's giving me too much credit, but I do have a, how do you say, "strong" personality.

Now I get to TA for all the sections. Lucky me! That means I get to go make a stellar first impression for 6 separate classes of students. I've done 4 so far. So only two more to go. But I think my track record will show that I'm sort of like cheese or wine or Sean Connery, I only get better with age.

On a somewhat unrelated note, why do I take it so personally when their little eyes glaze over and they look bored? It's not me. I'm freaking fascinating. So why does it sort of pierce my heart a little bit each time? Oh well.

On a completely unrelated note. Z and I had our 6 month anniversary yesterday. I gave him some twigs which I assume could be turned into paper.**

*I don't consider that time my fault. I said something completely harmless and I was just kidding around and that dude decided that he wanted to beat me up. He honestly really did. My brother told him to just calm down and that I was joking and he said, "she doesn't know me well enough to joke around." Really, sir? Really? I don't know you well enough to make a joke? That's an attitude that's not going to get you very far in prison. I tell you that as a friend.

**I'm not going to make you work for that one. Your one year anniversary gift is paper. See? I'm saying that I gave him half of that. I gave him something that was on it's way to being...you know what never mind. Like it or don't. I can't care anymore.

I'm out.

3 comments: