1. The way my pee smells after eating asparagus. SERIOUSLY THOUGH. What the hell? That's not right. According to the keeper of all knowledge (the internet),
"The effect of eating asparagus on one's urine has long been known. Marcel Proust claimed that asparagus "...transforms my chamber-pot into a flask of perfume." Certain constituents of asparagus are metabolized giving urine a distinctive smell due to various sulfur-containing degradation products, including various thiols, thioesters, and ammonia. Derivatives of asparagusic acid are also found in urine. The speed of onset of urine smell has been estimated to occur within 15-30 minutes of ingestion. All individuals produce the odorous compounds after eating asparagus, but only about 40% of the population have the autosomal genes required to smell them."
-From Wikipedia
"Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. It is also found in onions, garlic, rotten eggs, and in the secretions of skunks. The signature smell occurs when this substance is broken down in your digestive system. Not all people have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan, so some of you can eat all the asparagus you want without stinking up the place. One study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that only 46 percent of British people tested produced the odor while 100 percent of French people tested did. Insert your favorite French joke here________________________________."
-From the book, "Why Do Men Have Nipples?"- as quoted on the internet.
2. Getting information from the internet. Ok, so both those answers say similar things. Your pee smells because of some sort of sulfur that asparagus sneaks in your diet and both say that not everyone can smell it, but they have different reasons why that's true. One says some people don't break down the sulfur in the first place and the other says that people just can't smell the odor. Strange, no? Of course, I'm not really helping by sending this information on, but at least I'm cautioning you.
3. The fact that there is no soap in any of the bathrooms here at work. I'm not sure why. I'm guessing that they didn't order industrial soap in time or something, but that's not really a valid excuse. Now, I'm not as worried about me because I can muster up a tiny bit of soap from the dispenser (you just have to push, oh, 10 times and it comes right out) and I have a sink with soap upstairs in my office, but what about the little people? Not everyone has their own sink and soap. That means there are a bunch more people than normal walking around without washing their hands after using the bathroom. Oh, the humanity! Gross.
4. The fact that I have to defend my comps on Friday. It's been a month since I've turned them in. I feel so done with them and yet, I have the nagging horrible feeling of impending doom. Ridiculous. I want to be in the clear, darn it.
5. The clouds and impending rain. Neither of these factors really help me get into a nice head space for Friday, not even a little bit.
6. I graduated high school 10 years ago this month. How sick is that? That's sick.
That's it for now. There are others, but I should avoid getting too worked up.
P. S. I bought a wedding dress (really a bridesmaid's dress), a veil and a mini crown (tiara) yesterday. Now at least everyone in the wedding party will be dressed. So we've got that going for us.
1 comment:
good luck on your comps, and congratulations on the dress!
Post a Comment