Friday, December 12, 2008

Turns out Lurch was Right

Back in my youth, well, I'll be charitable to myself...Back in the younger days of my youth we used to hang around with a group of kids from the neighborhood. We were all 17, 18 or in one extreme case 20 at the time and as I could newly drive, my gal pal and I would drive over and watch some of the guys play basketball and generally be show-off guys. A good time was had by all. Ah, the innocence of youth.

Anyway, there was one guy in the neighborhood who was introduced to us as "Lurch". Because of his resemblance to the Addams Family character of the same name. I didn't learn his real name until a few months in. The nickname didn't seem to bother him and it's just what everyone called him. This nickname was not ironic. He was a big, tall, somewhat hefty guy. And nice as he was. He was somewhat s-l-o-w. I'm not trying to be mean, but them's the facts. He was a slow guy. He didn't get animated about much either. So the name fit pretty well.

This is the story of Lurch.

One day I'm over at my friend's house (a boy...a boy I had a crush on) and Lurch comes over too. I am pretty sure that Lurch had a crush on me. Looking back, that's nice. It's always nice to know that people care. Anyway, Lurch comes over and he starts talking to me about this new video game that he got. Video games were the one subject that got Lurch animated. So he's talking away about how awesome it is because you get to kill all these people and it's really awesome, etc., etc. So after a bit of this story he sort of turns to me and says, "Yeah, it's a really cool game, but you probably wouldn't like it. It moves pretty fast. You probably would like something more slow, like fishing or something." To which I had no reply. And with that little gem, he awkwardly left. As soon as the door clicked shut I turned to my friend, "I'm sorry, I'm confused, did Lurch just call ME slow?" And he did. He called me slow, which was awesome.

I say all that to say this: Lurch, it turns out you were totally right. I do like fishing! I've been playing Animal Crossing: Wild World on the DS and you can fish in the game and damned if I don't spend most of time doing that. So Lurch, I apologize for taking offense at being called slow by you. You were right. Fishing rules!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Ha ha!

Oh, and there is another one that we can add to the long list of "Hearts that Rose has broken."

Jesse said...

You can refer to me by name. I don't mind.

Rose said...

What can I say? I am in fact a heartbreaker. Lucky now I'm off the market.

I know, Jesse, but I like to leave some mystery. Do you ever see Lurch around any more?