The love of my life, my soul mate, my companion, my partner, my best buddy AKA Zach will be going under the knife on Saturday. He's getting his gall bladder out. That's right! Removed. Taken away. He'll be sans gall bladder. The doctors seem to think this is a good idea. They're like, "You don't need no stinkin' gall bladder." Which begs the question, why does everyone else have one then? The gall bladder is a sac that sits under your liver and collects the bile that your liver releases to break down foods (mostly fat). Then when the gall bladder has had enough, it releases the bile into your duodenum (which is the first part of your small intestine) and from there...well, I'll just leave that to your imagination. Right now, Zach's gall bladder is unhappy and apparently that means that it needs to come out. That will teach it! I've threatened my body as well. I told it that it better start shaping up or I am going to start removing things from it. I think it's scared. I plan to really drive home that message on Saturday.
It all started about a month ago when Zach was up all night with abdominal pain. We were at my Grandma's house and he just thought that he'd overindulged over the weekend. We drove home that day and he went to work, but we ended up in the emergency room that night because he kept whining about being in a lot of pain. That's right, I said whining, I'm mean. After we spent a few quality hours in the ER, we went home with some vicodin and a warning that Zach had a crazy gall bladder. He had another attack about a week later. We went to the Digestive Diseases Clinic and the doctor basically said Zach was fine, but wanted to refer us to a surgeon. So last Friday we went to see the surgeon. I guess there is a reason that people become surgeons vs. doctors. It doesn't have anything to do with skill. If you are a surgeon you are used to dealing with your patients when they are not conscious. Let's just say that showed when we met with this guy. He was there for 5 minutes. He walked in, said, "You're gonna need that out" and then got a bit exasperated when we were like, "wait, hold the phone, isn't there another option?" An ultrasound and an hour wait at 8 AM this morning and we've confirmed that surgery is probably the best option for Zach. I was doing pretty well until they asked for Zach's permission to give him a blood transfusion if he was dying. I wanted him to say no because that's so gross and that's where diseases come from, but the alternative is worse, so he said ok. Obviously, we don't expect this to be a problem. The surgery is routine and easy and it's not likely to have complications, but I still hate the idea of it. I am going to be positive though and believe that everything will be ok.
Anyway, that's what's going on around here. I've been busy for awhile now dealing with health and the lack there of. I'll keep everyone updated. I also thought that I would mention that if you have our address and you wanted to send Zach a "Get Well" card- now would be an awesome time. I know that he would appreciate it. If you need the address, email me and I'll get it to you, unless you are a creepy stalker and then I won't (no offense).
No comments:
Post a Comment