Certain people (Larry, I'm looking at you) have questioned my commitment to doing 26 posts in a row. I'm not saying that I have a lot of stick-to-it-iveness. Let's face it, if the going gets tough, I pretty much just get out. I don't like suffering, I don't like being uncomfortable, I'm not real fond of hard work. Hmm, I suppose this all counts as bragging, it almost makes me sound like a loser, but maybe I'm just more self-aware than you are, did you ever think of that Judgy Judgerson? Ok, wow, this post has gotten off on the wrong foot, let's just back it up a bit.
I'd like to take this opportunity to brag a bit about me. I know that's pretty much the entire purpose of a blog, but I thought I'd come right out and do it. So, here goes. Two things that happened this summer are:
1. I taught my first class in which I was the sole instructor, designer, evaluator, etc.
2. I got married.
I feel pretty good about both of these things. The first went well. I enjoyed being a teacher. I always thought that I wanted to be a teacher. My parents used to buy me grade books (not that fake ones, the official kind from an actual teaching supply company) and I would make my brother and whatever other neighborhood kids were around be my students. I loved it. I'm not sure if I was giddy with the power or what, but I do love the control, I mean, the passing on of knowledge, I love passing on knowledge. That last part is true. I enjoy teaching. The class I taught was Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, as the name implies it was a class that introduced the topic of Cognitive Psychology. We covered: neuroscience, history of Cog. Psy., perception, attention, executive control, language, memory, thinking, knowledge, and motor control. I had 15 students at the start of the class and I finished with 13. They did well and I think they learned a lot. If I ever taught the course again I know it would go even more smoothly, so that's awesome. It was a ton of work and doing it on top of getting married was tough, but I'm glad I did it. I read the written evaluations of me today and their biggest complaint was that I talk too fast. That's fine. I can deal with that. I warned them at the beginning that I tend to talk fast. I talk fast when I am excited about something or nervous and often, I was both, so there. But, I was happy it wasn't something like, "Instructor doesn't seem to know anything about what she's talking about." Yeah, so there you have it. I'm awesome at teaching. Tell everyone you know.
As to the second topic mentioned. I'm sure I'll mention this more in the future and I plan to tie everything back to me getting married for at least the next 5 years. Let me just for now say this, "I had the best wedding in the history of the world." I include in this contest everyone one of Elizabeth Taylor's weddings and all of the weddings that you may have seen on "Platinum Weddings". It was so much fun. It worked out so well. It was perfect in that things went wrong and we all overcame them. Honestly, I couldn't have imagined a better day. And I had multiple people tell me that it was the best wedding they had ever attended. My brother says that this means that either people had a really good time or they like us enough to lie to our faces. Either way, that's good praise. It was such a fun time. I really loved it. Haytee was the best Matron of Honor ever (well, she was pretty good, I mean there was the whole m.h. outbreak, marraige debacle and creative suntanning, but she made up for it). Jamie was a great Best Man. I was really pleased with him and much to Zach's dismay, perhaps one of the nicest pictures is of Jamie and I dancing. I like it because I look thin, I can't help it. Anyway, I'll try to unfold the story over these Alphabet posts, but in the mean time, you can go check out the millions of pictures here. We might have more posted up there soon too, so feel free to check back. When we get to P, you'll have a whole new appreciation for them.
Bye
No comments:
Post a Comment