- So I mentioned that I cleaned the bathroom floor. Although that's sort of a loose translation of what I did. I don't think the Swiffer Wet Jet is worth it. But maybe I am incorrectly operating it. Anyway, this does have a point and the point is this - am I the only person in this house that can see when things are dirty? Seriously? How the hell is it that no one else is grossed out by the accumulation of hair on the bathroom floor? You know what I'm talking about people, right? Is it just me? I used to think it was Zach or more generally men, but I've got two other females here and neither of them seemed to think it warranted cleaning either. That's cool. I guess I can conclude that it's just me. Not them. Although I can guarantee that my mother and grandmother would be horrified.
- I just came back. I know it's trippy for you because you didn't even know I was gone, but I totally was. I was gone for a long time and now I am back. In my absence I made lunch for Zach, took him back to work, went to two grocery stores and made pesto salad. It was really hard for me because I'm super sleepy. Also, the blender sucks. That made my job a lot harder. It took me an hour and a half to make the pesto. That's a long time. I put away all the groceries too. Eventful time, no?
- Allow me to say a little more about the pesto. I made it from fresh basil and a little bit of Italian parsley that I got from my grandma's garden. We picked it yesterday and took all the leaves off the stalks and bagged it up for the drive home. She also gave me the very tops of some of the basil (where the flowers and seeds are). Zach and I are going to try drying them and planting them in a pot. I have these two cute windows in my room (if I get around to taking pictures, I'll show you) and a plant stands with some pots of herbs would be awesome there. I hope that happens.
- I'm working on my iPod now. The iPod that Jesse and Adam gave me, and I'm sorry, but it was the best present ever. I mean, at least one of the top 10 I have ever received (and if you've given me a gift, just assume it's been in the top 10 and stop being offended). Anyway, the iPod is sick and has been for awhile. I'm hoping that he might be fixed this time. Anyway, he's getting updated again. So we'll see.
- Oh yeah, while I was making pesto I cut my finger on the blade of the blender. Shut up. It happens. I stuck my hand in there to pack in the basil leaves and I hit the blade and it cut me. And I got a little upset because while it didn't start bleeding until later I thought that might be sort of gross (yeah because I have germ problems). Anyway, long story short, it's only Zach and I, so I'm keeping the pesto.
- And I say all that to say this - one time my mom was making tapioca pudding for dessert and she was also making something else. I can't remember what else because what I'm about to tell you goes beyond horrifying. So my mom had one of those mandolins (not the instrument, the thing that's a box with a blade on top of it and it slices things super thin). Thing about the mandolin is, it's able to achieve those very thin slices because IT'S REALLY FREAKING SHARP. So she's slicing away and suddenly she cries out. I go into the kitchen and she's holding her hand and gushing blood. A lot. A lot of blood. She basically sliced off the tip of her finger. So now she's getting upset and rightfully so, that had to be super painful. So she asks me what to do. I'm maybe 10 or 11? I start to freak out to because I don't like to see my mom in pain. I'm sure most of you will say I just don't do well in emergencies, but it's really only emergencies where I have something personally vested. The well-being of my mom counts. Anyway, so I get my girl scout book which tells us that she needs to apply pressure and keep it elevated above her heart. So we do that and she sits down and finally after a long time (an hour? more?) it finally stops bleeding enough to put a band-aid on it. And this is the best part. While she's still bleeding a little (she may or may not have had the band-aid on), she decides she should stir the tapioca so it doesn't burn...and she gets a drop of blood in the tapioca. I immediately turn to her and tell her she's gotta throw that out now because that's so gross. And she calmly tells me that's not going to happen. I was beside myself. When my dad came home I made sure that he knew what she had done to the tapioca, but he didn't care he ate it anyway. I soundly refused to even look at the tapioca and to this day I can't eat it.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Manic Monday
Today I am working from home. That means I am doing double-duty. I'm doing a little school work (well, so far, no school work, but I have big plans) and I'm doing some housework. Thus far, I vacuumed, clean the bathroom floor, did the dishes and started a little something for lunch. I'm going to go grocery shopping (I made a list and planned meals) after Zach gets home with the car. He's going to come home for lunch and then I'll drive him back to work and take the car shopping, etc. So that's my day. I'm a domestic goddess, although I don't do windows. Anyway because of my exciting day, I've only really got time for some random thoughts and I don't have time to segue between them, so I'm putting up some bullet points. Easy way out? Yeah, yeah it is. Deal with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hook me up with that pesto recipe one time
Well...I can give you the basic method, but you are going to have to adjust it based on your own personal taste. You will need:
a blender - preferably good quality
1 bunch parsley (I prefer the curly rather than the Italian, but that’s me – you can also use basil that’s fine too – you need at least as much as in a nice size bunch of parsley)
Romano or parmesan cheese
Pine nuts or walnuts
Olive oil – extra virgin
Garlic
Salt (optional)
Dried Basil (also optional)
Here’s what I normally put in and what I think is the best, but you can adjust based on personal taste and what is available (and cheapest).
1-2 bunches of curly parsley – washed and free of sand
1 Tbsp. or so of dried basil
1-2 tsp. salt (more if you want, I vary this all the time)
½ cup grated romano or parmesan (I use romano because I like the strong taste, but whatever you have – fresh grated is best – NOT FROM THE BOTTLE AND STORED AT ROOM TEMP.)
½ - ¾ cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil – depends on how I feel the consistency is, start with a little and then if it seems to “pasty” or thick, add a bit more oil.
3-7 cloves of garlic – this is dependent on the size, obviously, and your own affinity for garlic – Zach and I love it, so I usually add a ton – not a good first date meal
½ or so of pine nuts or walnuts
Put the oil, cheese, nuts, basil, salt and garlic in the blender. It’s usually a good idea to cut up the garlic in my opinion first, but if you have a super good blender, not necessary as it will grind it up well. Put some of the parsley on top and start grinding away. I like to pull a lot of the leaves off the stems, especially if the stems are big, but some stems are ok because they grind up pretty well. If you are using fresh basil leaves, you need to pick the leaves off the stems, that’s just the breaks. If you are using fresh basil, omit the dried basil. Usually I use 2 bunches of parsley and a little more of the ingredients if I am making a double batch of pesto. You can get away with one good size bunch if you just want it for one meal. It freezes really well if you put it in a Ziploc baggie in the freezer, it doesn’t take up much space and thaws well.
That’s really it. It’s just the combination of those awesome ingredients and some blending. I taste it frequently to adjust the levels of things. I also try not to use too much oil, but that’s me. Some people like it more oily than others.
Mom and I make pesto salad. Using 1 lb. rotini, cooked, 1 can of big black olives, cherry tomatoes and cooked chicken. Cook the pasta, drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to big bowl. Put a bit of the pesto in there. Mix around. Add more pesto until all the noodles are coated pretty well. Then put olives, tomatoes and pieces of cooked chicken in a nice design. Chill until nice and cool in the refrigerator. You can serve any leftover pesto on the side as extra topping – that’s the best.
My grandma and aunt put it on hot pasta and serve it hot. That’s good too.
Zach and I also like it on salmon. Just coat the salmon in the pesto and bake as you normally would. It would likely be good on steak too.
How about instead of the recipe you just make me some when you get here? And let's use "Slightly slutty" olive oil instead.
your tapioca story is too funny - I didn't know that you still can't eat tapioca because of that. ha
Post a Comment